Wednesday, December 15, 2010

California Zins, fresh powder, friends and family

15 Dicembre
Yes, we are loco and no, we didn't ski there

View from the top of Larkspur with my gracious hosts

The night of the celebration of the lives of Raffaele and Bacco who survived a Doblo destroying car crash.  Norcia and Beccofino

I am back in the USA for the 1st time in a year, which sounded strange when I told that to the welcoming customs agent in Denver.  Got my bags X-rayed and cleared after being honest and telling them I was carrying olives, cheese and olive oil-3 of the essentials of life.
http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-life/your-money-today/staticslideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=26422035&gt1=32078
Check out this link above which I am almost in full agreement with.  I visited a store in Boulder this week selling a DOP Umbrian olive oil which was made from olives harvested in the 2007-2008 season which means it was already expired!  50.00!  I told the owner who said the oil had just arrived from his supplier.  Shame on that supplier and buyer beware.  I say the best way to buy olive oil from Italy is from the producer in person.  My oil sells for from 14-16 dollars a liter at Nascondiglio di Bacco, is organic and this year is stellar.  I am not going to pass judgement on Trader Joe's oils, but I am betting much of their inexpensive "italian" olive oil is made from olives grown in Spain, Morocco or Tunisia and your spanish oils are usually made from only 2 types of olives vs many hundreds in Italy,  and are easily recognizable and not to my liking.
I am trying my best to make a dent in my remaining wine collection which are getting older as I am and I am not sure either of us are getting better.  The tasted wines to this point have been 1995 Piper Heidsieck champagne (94 pts), 2003 Seghesio Zin (86), 2003 Seghesio Old Vines Zin (90), 2001 Ridge Geyserville (88), 2002 Ridge Geyserville (90),  2003 Puligny Montrachet (89) with those being my ratings.  Don't worry, I had help.  Kudos to "The Kitchen" and their sommelier Tim who had Umani Ronchi Montepulciano on the menu.
Today, new snow has arrived at Beaver Creek, so I can't wait to get on the slopes.  I am looking forward to seeing family and friends in MO soon and some time I need to finish my last assignment for UC Davis, so I can pass my winemaking class and move on in my studies.

No comments: