Tuesday, July 21, 2015

The wonderful life of the most loved dog in Le Marche

21 July, 2015.
I have been fortunate in being chosen by Bacco to guide him through his short life here on Earth, a greater privilege than I probably deserve.  From the first drive we took together from his birth home in Siena on my lap the whole way until now, when he is reaching the end, I have bonded with him like I rarely have with any other thing.  He saw me through lonely times here in the beginning and I was never lonely with him at my side.  He made me smile and laugh more than anything else in my life, so I guess it's only fair that now he is making me cry a bit.  We have hiked all the mountains in Le Marche over 2,000 meters together, have swum in the Adriatic Sea and visited countless towns in Italy.  He has made friends with everyone he has ever met, never growled or snapped at any human being and is known around the world.  He will hopefully become more famous as his wine Baccofino makes its way to various countries.  He stole the heart of Maryse who feels the pain of impending loss equally with me.  Yesterday he had a crisis in his B&B, Nascondiglio di Bacco, so I rushed him to the vet where they were able to save him with an emergency pericardiocentesis.  Unfortunately, on his echocardiogram, he was found to have an angiosarcoma in his left ventricle, which means he has only a few days left with us.  8years is not enough, but we made memories worthy of twice that and he has truly had a life in paradise here with new friends constantly having made his acquaintance from all over.  He will be sorely missed, every time I walk the 50 meters to the winery and he is not at my side, every hike in the mountains I take without him and this year's harvest when he is no longer eating the grapes and telling me when they are ripe.  No more Bacco at the Carnevale of Offida and no Bacco when I am hiking near my house in the CO mountains this winter which I was really excited about.  Thousands of good times and memories, though, and those will need to help me through his passing.  Here are some of his life's pictures from puppyhood to last night.  I hope to meet him again someday and want to thank all his friends for loving him as he loved you!
He never whined or cried after leaving his mother; we bonded immediately and I think he knew he was in a good place

His first friend?

Dressed up for Carnevale in Offida and curious

1st time retrieving; he was a master and it was a hoot watching him jump over waves and then swimming to get the stick

I had to carry him up a 6 feet cliff to reach the top of Mt. Sibilla, but that was the only time he needed a hand.
King of his territory

One of the great places to visit, Castelluccio in full flowering which contrasted well with his color.

He loved the snow and I was hoping to treat him to a bunch this winter in CO

Daddy's boy

an even bigger stick

Testing the grapes

His very own wine! He will live on through his label

Last summit with Maryse and I, he did Mt. Vettore at least 4 times.  This was 2 weeks ago!

Last night posing with his mom and me

a sad smile on my face

He demolished this bone last night; he can have another today if he wants

Maryse called us the three musketeers.  Fitting to end with a shadow I think.


6 comments:

Debbie said...

Dwight, I'm so sorry this is happening. His passing will leave a hole in your heart as big as the Grand Canyon. Your picture album is absolutely beautiful, and I'm sure you have many more treasured pictures. He will wait for you at the Rainbow Bridge. Perhaps, he'll meet my Callie Dog and become friends. My prayers are with you in these final days.

Unknown said...

Dwight,what a beautiful tribute for your beloved canine companion.It's so true that they indeed are man's best friend and they truely give us unconditional love.As dogs owners they teach us so much.I know what you are going through.We had to put down our Buddy last fall and it's never easy,but in his case with his illness it was the best decision.

Anonymous said...

Dwight
The news of Bacco has just devastated not only me, but everyone I know who knows of him. Your tribute and pictures are timeless. His premature passing will be like the loss of a family member.
As one who had the honor of knowing him more than most people on this side of the pond, I can't describe how I feel now. I think I know how much you love your sidekick and constant companion. He will be truly missed by everyone who knew him. I will always remember how when driving around, he used to stick his head between the front seats to see what's going on or how he used to bark as we drove by the house of one of his "children." Just like a proud Papa!
I'm so glad Maryse can be there for support in this most difficult time.
Bill

Mary Davis said...

Dwight,
I am truly sadden for you loosing Bacco. He was indeed a pleasure to see pictures of him with you, and now Maryse. I know there will be a very large void in your life, and that saddens me. You did a outstanding job of his puppy hood, good times & very fond memories to share with us. He will be waiting for you when you arrive in Heaven.

Mary

Mary Davis said...

Dwight,
I am very sadden about the news on Bacco's health. I know he was a constant companion for you, and that he loved all of the people he came in contact with during his short life. You did a amazing tribute to him by sharing his life from being a puppy to how he is today. I am glad you have Maryse to support you during this difficult time.

Mary

Dwight said...

Thanks everyone, it is hard and your comments invariably bring tears to my eyes as I sense the caring you have for me and Maryse and Bacco. It is tough right now and fortunately we are being allowed a few more good days with him and I am remembering to shoot pictures and videos for a remembrance. Grazie mille a tutti vuoi!!! Your thoughts mean more than you can know and remember, "Bacco loves you"!