Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Pruning in my dreams, memorial dinner for a friend

9 February
I am starting to relive my days of pruning in my sleep and unfortunately the thing I sense the most is the cable I cut which causes a distinct sensation in my hand and a nice ting sound.  I hate that!  We have now finished all but 1/2 of the Cabernet Sauvignon and the Montepulciano which means about 3-4 more days of work.  The days have been nearly perfect with temperatures between 50 and 60 and sunshine.


Here are a couple of pictures looking back at the vineyard and the winery with the mountains in the background still snowcapped.
The weather is tricking some of the trees into blooming early like the almond and mimosa trees, but with luck there will be no more frosts.
Blooming mimosa

Neighboring vineyard with blue sky

New copper roof on the winery
Finally, I am sad to report my friend and former colleague/alum of UMKC, Damon Mountford lost his battle with multiple myeloma last night.  Damon was instrumental in augmenting my passion and knowledge of wines of the world.  He served as president of Cellarmasters KC for many years, organizing varietal tastings and educating all of us members on the diversity of grapes, growing techniques, and countries of origin, as well as the health benefits/risks of wine consumption.  He delighted in cooking elaborate dinners for friends and would sit quietly, listening to the battles between arch liberals and conservatives he purposely invited together to provide entertainment.  These dinners were accompanied by great wines he had collected over the years and he was always happy to share his finds.  Today, I went up to the local grocery store and bought all the fixings to make a cassoulet, Dwight style and brought out a Zinfandel I am sure he would have appreciated.  Here's to you Damon.  I wish you had been here to try our 1st wines!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dwight-
i love reading about your progress,hope to get to your abode sometime. i too wanted to comment on Damon- what a gentle giant.
I stil lhave his wonderful wine comments from Cellarmasters. hope you are well katie allison